Carol Lamkins, CID, CMKBD
Carol Lamkins, CID, CMKBD is an award winning Certified Interior Designer, Certified Master in Kitchen & Bath Designer, international and national speaker, interior design professor and author of The Original IDEX CA Prep Class©. As principal of Design Vision, Carol has over 30 years of both residential and commercial projects to her credit.DEX CA Prep Class
Carol is media savvy! She is a regarded authority on barrier free design and kitchen and bath design. She was awarded the first and only HGTV Designer’s Challenge ADA-compliant master bath redesign. (click here to watch the HGTV Designer’s Challenge featuring Carol).
Carol has written for and has been featured in major international magazines, newspapers, blogs and appears on TV. She has also written monthly educational articles through the Federal Perkins Grant for instructors of the California Community College Interior Design Departments. A selection of Published Works by Carol Lamkins can be found under News & Information.
As a respected leader in the interior design industry, Carol served as a member of the IDEX California© Task Force in authoring and developing the exams under the guidance of Castle Worldwide’s psychometricians. Carol’s first hand knowledge of the IDEX California© content and structure, was invaluable when she created The Original IDEX CA Prep Class©. As a member of the CCIDC certification board task force creating the IDEX California©, Carol immersed herself into building codes and spent over three months conferring with industry experts, documenting reference sources and scrutinizing the entire California Building Code. All this resulted in the development of The Original IDEX CA Prep Class© for the exam.
Carol’s objective when creating The Original IDEX CA Prep Class© was to help her fellow California interior designers be more knowledgeable in building codes and other areas tested by the IDEX California© as well as grow their business.
The Original IDEX CA Prep Class© is a stand-alone class, delivered in-person or on-line, focused on what designers need to study for the IDEX California©.
- Certified Interior Designer #0290
- Certified Master in Kitchen & Bath Design #101401
- Certified in Family and Consumer Science #14801
TEACHING & SPEAKING EXPERIENCE:
- Interior design professor – FIDM Los Angeles, Mt. San Antonio Community College, North Orange County Community College District (Fullerton College) and telecourse instructor for Coastline Community College
- Trainer – DuPont Corian and Zodiac products, Bosch Cabinetry, Hansa Plumbing Ware and Task Lighting
- Expert witness in Los Angeles Superior Court for residential case
- Juror – NKBA Kitchen and Bath Design National Contest and at local colleges
- Lecturer – Chicago Mart, L.A Mart, Dwyer Group, and Kohler
- Conference Speaker – KBIS (Kitchen & Bath Industry Show), Hanley Wood Surfaces, Malaysian Timber Council, Hanley Wood Remodeler Show and The Association of Woodworking & Furnishings Suppliers
- Invited speaker – Interior Design subjects at UCLA and at Mt San Antonio, Saddleback, and Fullerton Colleges. Interior Design Institute and UCLA Extension
- A.A. at Fullerton College with emphasis in construction and design
- B.A. at California State University Long Beach (past FIDER Accreditation) graduating with honors with emphasis in interior design and science; advanced master’s work
- Numerous Continuing Education Units since 1989 in interior design, product specification, marketing, CA Building Standards Codes, Title 24, lighting, accessibility and much more
LEADERSHIP POSITIONS & AFFILIATIONS:
- California Legislative Coalition for Interior Design (CLCID) – Past Vice President of Membership, Treasurer, Developer of CLCID Summer Showcases and current Board Advisor
- National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) Industry and Professional Member, past SO CA Chapter President, V.P. Membership and V.P. Academic Relations
- Past Advisory Board Member for DACOR Appliances, Mt. San Antonio College Interior Design and Educational Policies Committee for California State University, Long Beach
- Past ASID Secretary and Technology Chair – past professional member